1. Introduction/ History
The idea of establishing a professional organization to bring all biotechnologists of Nepal together was first conceived during the first regional conference of Association of Plant Physiologists of SAARC countries (APPSC) on the role of Plant physiology and Biotechnology on Crop Productivity held from October 3-7, 1988 at Tribhuvan University, Kathmandu. During the conference eminent scholars/scientists felt an urgent need of a platform for biotechnology in Nepal. Thus a scientific organization called Nepal Biotechnology Association (NBA) came into existence on October 7, 1988.
NBA is registered as professional NGO under the society act of Nepal Government (Then HMG, Nepal) Registered Number. 54/049/050 in July 1992.The organization is a nonprofit professional organization.
NBA is established to fulfill following objectives
- To create awareness about biotechnology among common people, researchers and technicians within the country and also to interact with scientists working abroad in various fields of Biotechnology
- To communicate and cooperate with various National and International organizations located in Nepal (mainly in the fields of Agriculture, Forestry, Health, Environment and Industries)
- To exchange and promote recent techniques of Biotechnology
- To organize National and International conference/symposium/Workshops/Seminars/Lectures
- To publish regularly Journal and Newsletter of NBA